Friday, January 16, 2009

Hero on the Hudson

All the people from the New York office that were supposed to be on my 4pm conference call yesterday were late. Once they finally started trickling on to the call, I heard the news about the US Airways plane that landed in the Hudson River. They could see the rescue efforts from their office building.

My heart started racing, my stomach was in knots. I've been on literally hundreds of flights, a good majority of them into or out of LaGuardia. I've been on dozens of flights with my kids and all I could think about in that moment was some mom with her young children, hoping and praying and trying to be strong in order to save her babies.

I went right to my favorite online news source. The picture there showed an almost submerged plane with no people around it. The panic increased. I was relieved when I surfed to another news site, which had pictures of the plane much higher in the water, with people standing on the wings, surrounded by rescue personnel. Obviously, this picture was taken earlier than the first.

It wasn't long before the headline announced that all passengers and crew were believed to have gotten out, no serious injuries reported. That's when the tears began to flow. Tears of fear, tears of celebration, tears of "what if."

Last night when I got home, I couldn't stop hugging and kissing and holding my two beautiful little girls. I'm not sure why it sometimes takes something so significant to inspire those moments, but I'm thankful not only for the happy ending of that airplane and all aboard, but for the reminder that life can change in the blink of an eye, and I need to cherish what I have as often as I can.

It may only be the third week of the year, but already I've chosen my Hero of the Year. His name is Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger III.

~*~*~ May you always remember to dance in the rain, and may you have plenty of ladybugs beside you! ~*~*~

Blessings,
Kat

No comments: