Monday, August 11, 2008

Meet Your Significant Other

Disclaimer: I feel the need to start with this.... If you don't currently have a significant other, or if you're in the market for a new one (kidding!!), there is no dating advice in this post. If you already have a significant other that you have not yet met, you need to do more today than read this post... run, don't walk, to the nearest therapist!! :-)

I love to write. Always have, I'm sure I always will. This is my third active (ish) blog, and though my husband knows about my first one (Random Thoughts from a Newbie Blogger) and my second one (Kat's Next Five Things), it turns out that I never told him that I'd started this one. It was an innocent mistake, I wasn't trying to hide something from him at all. He knows that early in the morning before anyone is awake or late at night when the kids are in bed and he's watching sports, I blog. I guess I just never told him I was doing a new blog.

Last Monday, I posted here about my daughter, Rachel. I wrote that post on my home computer (I usually use my laptop when I post, and no one else uses this one). I happened to leave the window open and when he got on the computer after the kids were in bed, he saw that post up on the screen. He started to read some posts from this blog, and also on my Random Thoughts blog. "What's all this," he asked me?

"Ah, love, there's so much about me you don't know," I joked. OK, I'm not sure there's so much about me he doesn't know... we've been together for 12.5 years now. What wouldn't he know? But as it turns out as he read through my posts, there was a lot he didn't know. Certainly that's not intention on either of our parts, and I do think it's OK to have a few things that only you know... the blogs just wasn't intentionally one of them.

Today, take a look at your significant other. What about them don't you know? Does (s)he have an interest in ancient Egyptian history? Has (s)he always wanted to try sushi? Is (s)he having trouble at work? Want another baby? Want a dog? Want to travel to Europe? Won the spelling bee in 3rd grade? Always wanted to be an astronaut? Hates your fuzzy blue slippers? Wish you'd let your hair grow longer or stop coloring it so blond? Loves how you look when you wear green?

Maybe it's a little thing, maybe it's a funny thing, maybe it's something that's been heavy on their mind or on their heart, and they don't want to "burden" you with it. Whatever "it" is, though.... find out. Learn about it. Support it. Act on it if you can.

If, like me, you think they're can't be anything left you don't know about your significant other, well, ask! If your significant other is still sleeping, as mine is as I write this post, I suggest you don't wake him/her up for this question. But maybe later on tonight, after the dishes are done and the kids are in bed, ask the question. See if it's true what they say: You learn something new every day. To me, there aren't many better people to learn something new about.

~*~*~ May you always remember to dance in the rain, and may you have plenty of ladybugs beside you! ~*~*~
.
Blessings,
Kat

No comments: