Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Wildcard Wednesday: 7 Seconds

Recently, my husband, two daughters and I took a trip to New York to visit my family. My younger daughter did not have a ticket, she sat on my lap during the plane ride. I've flown close to 500 times (seriously!) and I've heard the "important announcements in the event of an emergency" so many times that I pretty much don't listen to them anymore. However, there's one that always sticks in my head.

"In the event that the cabin experiences a sudden change in pressure, oxygen masks will drop from the ceiling. The bag will not inflate even though oxygen is flowing. Please secure your own mask before assisting others."

Once I had kids, this one always made me chuckle. Yeah, right, I'm going to put on my own mask before my kids'. Sure. I'm their MOTHER! Of course I'm going to put theirs on first, make sure they are OK, and then tend to mine. Silly flight attendant!

This time, though, one of the flight attendants made sure to point out that the baby and I should sit on the left side of the plane, there were 3 masks on that side (only 2 seats) so I should sit there since I may need one for the baby. He also proceeded to remind me that I should secure my own mask first, since it only takes 7 seconds without oxygen before an "altered state of consciousness" will begin, at which point I'd be less able to help my daughter.

Seven seconds. Wow. That's not very long. It got me to thinking....

I tend to go through life worrying about how to help everyone else. What can I do? What can I give? How can I help? How do I make sure that everyone else is taken care of? If there happens to be a little something left over for me, that's great, but certainly the "everyone elses" in my life come first. Always have. And hey, shouldn't they?

Seven seconds. That's not very long.

If I neglect myself, within 7 seconds I could start to become unable to help my baby girl. I want to believe that I can get her mask on first and then my own in those 7 seconds. But what if I can't? Then I've hurt both of us by not putting myself first. Wow. In this case, taking care of myself first is the only way to make sure I can take care of her as well as I want to, as well as I need to.

That's fine on an airplane, but what about the rest of my life? Though I'm sure he wasn't looking to instill a life lesson, that flight attendant made a big impact. I spend so much time and energy focusing on everyone else, that I may (unknowingly and unintentionally) be putting myself into an "altered state." Not enough sleep. Not enough time. Not enough energy. When I'm dragging, can I really help others the way I want to, the way I need to?

Putting my own mask on first only takes a few seconds, but it could make all the difference. Just like taking care of myself first doesn't have to take long, but could make a huge difference in my ability to be happy, healthy, and therefore, take care of others to the true best of my abilities.

No, I'm not planning a spa getaway or a shopping spree or lazy afternoon naps. But next time I want a pedicure, I'm not going to feel like I don't deserve it. Instead, I'll go to the local nail place, let them massage my feet and make my toes pretty for an hour, and come home a bit recharged, relaxed, and feeling good so I can be in a better mental place to do what I love to do best -- take care of others.

Mommy first, Mommy always, forever and ever, Amen. But I'm learning (slowly but surely!) that to the best I can be for others, I need to be the best I can be for me, first.

~*~*~ May you always remember to dance in the rain, and may you have plenty of ladybugs beside you! ~*~*~

Blessings,
Kat

1 comment:

Luanne said...

Bravo, well said, excellent point! I'm going to make an concerted effort to practice the "7 Second Rule" - what a simple yet profound way to live!